Copyright © 2017 Hertford Museum | Registered Charity 312142 | Designed & Built By M. Day | Terms Of Use

Hertford Museum

18 Bull Plain

Hertford

SG14 1DT

01992 582686

hertfordmuseum@btconnect.com


Stay in touch

East Herts and Hertfordshire Regiment

The 1st Battalion Hertfordshire Regiment was raised in 1908 as part of the new part time reserve force known as the Territorial Army.


The 1st Battalion Hertfordshire Regiment was mobilised as war began in August 1914. More than 900 officers and men lost their lives, and as the only battalion to serve abroad, it was awarded all 26 of the regiment's battle honours. As well as two Victoria Crosses, more than 300 decorations and mentions-in despatches were awarded to members of the battalion.


In response to the government's appeal in 1939 to double the size of the Territorial Army a new 2nd Battalion took over the centres in West and South Hertfordshire. Both battalions were mobilised in 1939. The 1st Battalion served in Gibraltar before transfer to the Italian front in July 1944 where they endured five months hard fighting. They then moved to Palestine for internal security duties until demobilisation in October 1946.


The 2nd Battalion landed in Normandy with 9 Beach Group on D-Day 6th June 1944, but were disbanded five weeks later to provide infantry reinforcements. Some 135 of all ranks of both battalions lost their lives in the Second World War and the Regiment gained eight more battle honours.


In 1961 the 1st Battalion was amalgamated with 5th Battalion The Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire Regiment, which became part of the Royal Anglian Regiment in 1969.


History of the Regiment